Friday, January 23, 2009

Just Another London Day

Yesterday marked a very important day in terms of being a Londoner. It was our first wet and windy day! Our umbrellas were turned inside out and our feet and jeans were soaked.

It was a great, "Welcome to London!" reminder on our fifth day.

Last night I managed to get lost for the first time as well. We were traveling in a large group to the Phoenix Theater where we were seeing the musical Blood Brothers. We traveled through the Underground making the necessary stops, but I swear every Londoner was in the Underground and packed into the rail cars like sardines (which is usually the case).

Whenever you use the Tube you have to show your ticket or Oyster Card both when you enter and exit. We were exiting a busy station when I reached into my handbag and couldn't find my Oyster card! I tried to hurry, scrambling through my bag while trying to look up to see where the group was going.

The whole time I kept thinking, "Oh, no! I lost my Oyster card... and now I will have to pay a huge fine! I can't afford that!!! I can't afford a huge fine in London!!! I wonder if they would notice if I snuck out..."

No worries -- I eventually found my Oyster card in the part of my handbag where I always put it. (Good work, Jenon.)

I ended up losing the group, and unfortunately for me, there were many exits to choose from at this stop. (And before we left, I opted out of reading the directions because I thought, "Oh, we are traveling in a group... I'll be fine. Good work, Jenon.)

I walked out the nearest one and asked three different guys where to find the Phoenix Theater. (Mom, I was fine.) I took off and found my way down the busy street full of theaters.

I eventually found the theater and dodged cars to cross the street to meet up with the group again. My roommate Kathryn said that she could see me from a distance walking down the street. "You looked like a Londoner because you were on a mission and walking so fast!" she said.

I love it when I have "I am a Londoner" moments.

The point is that even though I was "lost", I was never worried. It's just a part of the City Life. (Seriously, Mom, I was fine.)

And, in case you are wondering, I now keep my Oyster card in my coat pocket... easy access unlike the handbag.

The play was great though! The actors were talented and the main actress had an amazing voice.

The only downside to the whole night? I was so tempted to get ice cream during the intermission of the show, but the price was three pounds for two measly bites. Thank you, London...

3 comments:

  1. Good job at getting yourself un-lost! You could be on the Amazing Race! Does your coat pocket have a zipper? You don't want to lose that Oyster Card! Or a separate compartment in your purse? Please be careful! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenon-Birthday Blessings, tomorrow! What a deal...you get to spend your special day in London. I am enjoying your journal-you make everything sound so interesting and FUN. God loves you and so do we!
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenon - Happy Happy Birthday! I'll be anxious to hear how they celebrate birthdays in London. Keep the adventures coming and I always look forward to your log. Thanks for sharing your experiences. You're a special niece and we wish you the best! Love, Bruce, Laura, Courtney and Tanner

    ReplyDelete