Monday, January 19, 2009

The First 36 Hours

I feel like I have been in London for much longer than 36 hours. We have definitely kept busy! Here are some highlights from yesterday and tonight as I try to pose as a Londoner (but stick out like a sore-thumb American...)

1. Yesterday my roommates and I walked to the main road - Victoria St. - to get some toiletries. We got what we needed and headed out to walk some more. Soon we saw the London Eye in the distance, so we kept walking to check out the scenery. Within a minute or two we were standing in front of Westminster Abbey... then came Parliament... then the River Thames. All three of us were pretty silent, and I'm sure we were all thinking the same thing. "These aren't just pictures in a book anymore... this is the real thing!"

Last night we all gathered for some pizza, took a walk around the neighborhood (have I mentioned how much I LOVE the location??), and then we stopped at a pub where we encountered our first Strongbow experience. Strongbow is an alcoholic cider, and I had heard amazing things about this drink. I wanted to like it so much... but it was...um... okay. Perhaps the half pint will grow on me.

After that a group of us walked back up to the River Thames to see the local sights at night. We came back and had an early night in bed... I slept until 2 am, but then woke up thinking... "This isn't my pillow! What time is it? What time is it at home?".... and on and on. It was definitely a "Oh-I-like-it-here-but-I'm-lonely-on-my-first-night" moment.

Morning came and, thankfully, I was back to loving London! We had a full day of orientation. There was a lot of talking during the morning, but during the afternoon we took a walking tour of London... from the oldest Roman wall built in the 1st century to the Tower of London to Convent Garden to St. James Park. It was rainy and chilly but definitely warmer than Iowa!

London has the best underground in the world. Everyone says it. I am sure this is true (even though this is the only underground system I have ever used...) . I have only been here for 36 hours, but if you told me to go somewhere in the city that I have never heard of before it wouldn't even phase me. I have the London Underground on my side.

Tonight we went to Oxford Street and it was very busy as people were getting off work, etc. It is fun to go somewhere and practice the little things we have learned so far. Such as:

1. Do not talk to people or make eye contact with people while on the Tube. (It is so quiet even though the cars are jam-packed... and we, Americans of course, are obnoxiously loud.)

2. Keep to the right side of escalators otherwise people will get angry. (This means we are all in a panic making sure we are on the right side. Tonight we did get a little brave and walked fast up and down the escalators on the left side. How wild!)

3. Watch out for cars. No bus, car or taxi yields to pedestrians. (Thankfully, I am still alive.)

There is so much more to learn about this fascinating city. I am glad it is only Day 2 because I am trying to take in as much as possible. Tomorrow is fairly free, so a group of us will make our way back to Victoria St. to make some necessary purchases, i.e. a cell phone and food.

P.S. Just a fun tid-bit: There are nicer-looking port-a-potties on the streets of London. And you have to pay to use them. I think this is absolutely hilarious. I hope I never run into any trouble... I can just see it now... I really have to go, but I am trying to reach for change in my handbag... Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. i hope they change there rule about the potties and the escalators
    love Grace kirby

    ReplyDelete