Saturday, January 24, 2009

21

Yesterday was another full day of Orientation. The morning session included a travel seminar, and we were given the best tips for traveling through Europe. This should be so exciting to go see other countries, but the entire time I felt disheartened by the idea of leaving London every weekend! I would hate to look back on my experience and think that I did not spend enough time getting to know London - and the rest of England.

Yesterday afternoon we were split up in groups for a race/scavenger hunt all around London. It was a blast running down busy streets, racing up and down escalators and seeing so much of London in only three hours time.

Last night we went to the International Student House to hang out. There I saw Rosalie Full - a girl I grew up with in Alton! We played T-ball together, and my Grandma TeBrink taught her piano lessons. I chatted with her for a while, and we both couldn't believe that we ended up at the same place at the same time in London, England.

It was nearing midnight as we were on the Tube headed home for the night, and my new London friends sang happy birthday to me as the clock struck twelve! They are definitely making my day here very special even though I am away from my family and friends!

This morning I got up early and went on a run around Buckingham Palace (a minute's run away) and through Green Park and St. James Park. It was absolutely beautiful, and the entire way I thought of how blessed I am that I get to do this for the next four months! The weather even felt like our fall season back at home - my favorite!

After that a small group of us went on a walking tour from St. Paul's Cathedral to Borough Market. Our stops included the Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern and Shakespeare's Globe Theater. There are so many details I miss while walking through London, so it was great to have a tour guide to point out the historical significance of everything we saw. (I think London has a monument for every little thing that has ever happened... but it makes for wonderful scenery, I guess.) I was ecstatic when we got to see where Bridget Jones's apartment was shot in the movie Bridget Jones's Diary!

On a side note: My British accent is improving greatly. Throughout the past week I have studied how British people say certain words. Once I start talking with the accent... I can't stop. Yikes! Who knew an accent could be so addicting?

I have had a great start to my 21st year, and I never thought I would get to celebrate in such a wonderful place... It's only been a week, but I know I will always adore London!

2 comments:

  1. JENON>....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wish I could be there to celebrate with you, but enjoy an extra beverage on me! What a big girl you are....you have come a long way! I am proud of you.
    Dan and Davis are singing to you right now! Enjoy your special day, but behave!
    Jaci

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just read all of your blogs in one sitting and am addicted! I'm thoroughly enjoy reading about your adventures in London and your "Jenon moments" :). I am anxiously awaiting the next read! Love you!

    ReplyDelete