Friday, March 27, 2009

"So you're staying until May 8, right?"

19 Thursday

I had class during the morning, so Mark slept in for a little bit and then went on a run through Hyde Park. He also made a stop at Buckingham Palace to watch the Changing of the Guards. I haven't seen this yet, but from his reaction... I would give it an "Overrated".

We met up after my class and went to my favorite place near High Street Kensington. It has a mom and pop shop feel to it. It is a tea room but also serves lunch. Thank you, Dad, for finding out about this place in an airplane catalog! We had tea and scones and loved every minute of it.

After that we headed to King's Cross Station to find Harry Potter's Platform 9 & 3/4s. (Yes, we did have to ask where it was... how embarrassing... I made Mark do that.)

We took three pictures, and we were on our way again.

Next stop: The London Eye. I was waiting to do this until Mark got here. The sun was setting, so it was difficult to take pictures, but the view was great! Our complete flight lasted about 25 minutes and afterward we walked around the Westminster Embankment area.

We had leftovers for dinner and at night: Karaoke! We sang 'Brown Eyed Girl' even though I have green/blue eyes... Our mics were turned off for half of the song, and to put it simply... we were not good. But I think that we were still cute and fun. Who cares about hitting the right notes? It's karaoke.

20 Friday

On this day we took the Tube out to Greenwich and walked around the park there. It was beautiful - especially compared to the last time I visited there in the snow/slush. We went to the Royal Observatory. I knew Mark would appreciate all the science stuff...

We ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant in Greenwich before walking through a small market and heading back into central London.

Friday night was our night on the town. We went out dancing but thankfully didn't stay out too late. I had gone to the same place dancing before Mark visited, but it was much more fun with him there. Seriously.

21 Saturday

Saturday was our day at Wimbledon. We spent over four and half hours there! I didn't know that much about tennis, but I appreciate it - and the Wimbledon tournament - so much more now. We went on a tour that took us to see Court 1, the player's area, the BBC studio and the press room. We went through the museum, which I thought was very impressive. And, oh yah, we stopped for tea and scones at the cafe there. Definitely a great Saturday.

At night we went to a small restaurant near Piccadilly Circus to eat. A three course meal for 8 pounds - yes please! It was fun sitting and talking on our last night over yet another British meal.

We walked back through St. James's Park and made plans for Mark's voyage back to the Homeland the next morning.

22 Sunday

Mark's flight left early, so I took a bus and then the Tube with him to the airport. We had such a fun week, and it was so nice to talk to my boyfriend face-to-face instead of trying to Skype or e-mail him. I felt like I could know all the tiny details from his life again instead of the, "Oh, what did you do today?" summary.

I was sad when he left but more thankful than anything. Although... he did really make me miss home and my family and friends... I really like them. And I really like America.

It took me a couple of days to adjust after Mark left just becacuse I was thinking so much of home. No worries, I am once again distracted by London and travel.

As I write this now, I only have six more weeks of separation from the ones I love spending my time with, and I can't believe how fast the time has gone.

Even though I asked Mark all week, "So you're staying until May 8, right?". I know I will be back in good ole' Iowa with my loved ones before I know it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Nonny! We miss you too! April will go fast and you will be home before you know it! It won't take long and you'll be experiencing another hot and humid Iowa summer!
    Trust me....mother knows :)

    ReplyDelete